Friday, December 10, 2004

"Life Passes"

"Life Passes"
September 2004

If you turn your head fast enough
the passing cars seem to
hold still for a moment
in suspended movement.
A boy discovers this and plays games;
traces the outlines of passing hills
with his fingertip,
left eye closed.
The world is outlines and images.
Shapes.
Movements frozen between periods
of thoughtless involvement in things not understood.
Not needing to be.
His father drives;
watches the lane dividers,
road signs, brake lights.
Life passes one mile marker at a time
and he wonders into the rearview mirror
when life stopped carrying him,
as he watches his son
squint out the window,
his finger slowly rising and falling.

3 comments:

Thomas Ham said...

i like this one a lot piet =)

love ya dude.

Anonymous said...

this reminds me of something, but I can't quite remember what. Funny how memories can be so elusive, eh?

but i like it a lot. truly.
[katie]

raj said...

I appreciate your kind words that you commented to my blog. My sister has mentioned you several times, and you seem pretty cool. I am pleased to meet you as well.

Your words capture moments, and I like that.