Sunday, December 19, 2004

awaking to a dream...

I dreamt about a cellar door cracked open and a dim light shining into a dark hallway. I opened the door and I walked down the stairs. Old bare wood stairs, I could feel the grain with my bare feet. I was wearing old jeans and a white t-shirt and I was young. I realized it then as I walked. I realized also that the light drawing me at the bottom was flickering. A candle was burning in the cellar and it's shadows were many and motioned me forward.
I reached the bottom and there, among the cans of paint and nails, the old radio and typewriter, various tools, there sat a small table. The candle was in a dish on that table and my grandfather, whom I hadn't seen in many years, sat in a chair next to it. Rocking back and forth, he wore slippers and a gray robe imported from some asian country. He was eating grapes and offered me one. I took it and put it in my mouth, feeling it's smooth round shape before splitting it in half with my teeth, lengthwise. I savored the soft meat and sweet juice.
Then I smiled at him and he smiled back. "What are you doing here grandpa?" I asked, 'it's cold."
"I was waiting for you," he answered and I realized that I hadn't thought about him for a long time. I looked at his hair, thin and gray and parted at the side. His shoulders, broad and uneven. He seemed thicker than I remembered him being. Maybe younger perhaps as well, but death does that to people.
"You've been waiting a long time haven't you," I said. He nodded, smiling. I said, "I'm sorry."
"It's alright," he said. I stood there in the cellar looking at him and felt sad. All the things he didn't see and wouldn't see. I wanted to thank him for everything he said to me and every wet kiss he gave me and the trains and breakfasts. I wanted to tell him that he was the reason for my passions in many ways and that I wanted nothing more than to read every word he ever wrote. I wanted to tell him how many lives I realized he touched and how I wanted to touch people that way. I looked at him and he looked at me and then he spoke: "I am proud of you Pieter. You wondered once to yourself if I would be proud of who you have become, and I am. I wanted to tell you that."
And then he was gone. I stood in the dark cellar by myself and I heard what sounded like raindrops. I looked out the small windows near the ceiling and realized that the world outside was on fire.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Pieter... this is Jessica (Sherry's pal). This post was like a gift to read; albeit a bitter sweet one. It captured, for me, a lot of the emotions and thought processes that I've been sorting through recently in the absence of my grandparents; especially the desire to communicate with them that is often addressed in dreams like this. My grandma was a very artistic person, and I never really appreciated it or got to learn much from her before she passed away and what you wrote about your grandpa and his writing really struck a chord with me. Thank you.
-jessica

Anonymous said...

Hey Pieter... this is Jessica (Sherry's pal). This post was like a gift to read; albeit a bitter sweet one. It captured, for me, a lot of the emotions and thought processes that I've been sorting through recently in the absence of my grandparents; especially the desire to communicate with them that is often addressed in dreams like this. My grandma was a very artistic person, and I never really appreciated it or got to learn much from her before she passed away and what you wrote about your grandpa and his writing really struck a chord with me. Thank you.
-jessica

Anonymous said...

Hey Pieter... this is Jessica (Sherry's pal). This post was like a gift to read; albeit a bitter sweet one. It captured, for me, a lot of the emotions and thought processes that I've been sorting through recently in the absence of my grandparents; especially the desire to communicate with them that is often addressed in dreams like this. My grandma was a very artistic person, and I never really appreciated it or got to learn much from her before she passed away and what you wrote about your grandpa and his writing really struck a chord with me. Thank you.
-jessica

Thomas Ham said...

this one is super nice. less formuated, but beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Sorry my comment posted 3 times... my internet froze up and... yeah. Ha.
-jessica

Anonymous said...

I already told you what I think of this-- it's beautiful. ha, and touching. i got a bit misty, i think, but don't tell anyone. ;) hope to talk to you soon, but if not- merry christmas! maybe your next post i'll leave the link to my blogger... an odd sort of not-really-a-present. anyway, off i go to sleep. ha, and perchance to dream.
[odd comment, i think, but it's been a long day]
katie

Katie said...

i don't actually like the guy.

but thanks for the reminder.

Ms. McGowan said...

I just wanted to point out that, although we're best friends, we're nothing alike. Hee hee...she cracks me up:) And...we're a whole lot alike!

Thanks for sharing the latest post. Love you!

aziner said...

Your words really paint a picture, I feel transported into your world. Beautifully written. I look forward to reading more.