Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Helpless...

Helplessness is beautiful. Helpless beauty... The feeling that you are at the mercy of another, but that other is good and right and true. I've felt helpless. Helpless to be the man that God has called me to be. The one I dreamt I would be, running through the South Carolina nights. That was where the spark of manhood was lit and I chased it through those trees by the creek with my friends. I've been chasing it ever since.

Then I lost it when I needed it the most and wept because of my weakness. But despite my failures and my faults, the Good brought me back to it and placed that spark safely in my heart. I hope. Because now I see why I needed it in the first place.

There was a time not too long ago in the grass where I watched and heard two separate mouths speak separate words. Those words joined somewhere in the air and became sentences and paragraphs. Poems really, we were right. And like those words our minds joined until our thoughts walked hand in hand. And as I lay on my back, watching this unfold, I saw a dragonfly on the top branch of the shading tree. It sat still and alone except for the slight vibration of its wings in the breeze. Then as I watched, another flew to the branch beside it, to also sit in the warmth of the summer afternoon.

Fly beside me, I wanted to say, because I'm safe although this world isn't. We'll follow the breeze together. Let the Wind take us where it wills, somewhere safe and still and quiet. I will watch over you on the way.

Then, like our thoughts, the two flew off together.

I want to feel helpless in this Wind. Just float where it wills because I believe that it is good and safe to do so. And on the way I want to write beauty into the world. There in the grass and the breeze I began to believe that I could.

9 comments:

Pete said...

Thank you Sherry for the thoughts about manhood.

P.S. I think God allows cliches to invade reality in order to allow us to believe that romantic ideas and hopes can indeed be experienced in this life. All of this really happened...

Anonymous said...

Was doing a poetry search and came across this...intense.
roxi

Katie said...

you're beautiful, and i think she just might be the luckiest girl alive.

Strike that, blessed.

<3

Ms. McGowan said...

"I want to write beauty into the world"
This is just what you do. Thanks for sharing the beauty with us.

Katie said...

i'm glad you like it. i think it's from sometime near the end of freshman year, so I guess not very long ago.

yeah.

andrea said...

canada is good, but you can tell summer is almost over. but other than its good. how are you doing? hows your summer?

aziner said...

Dear Pieter,
It has been an entire month since you have graced us with your words. Please come back. I hope you are well and have not been kidnapped by ninjas because I am beginning to wonder . . .

aziner said...

Since you sadly find yourself without internet currently, I am going to post random comments so that hopefully you will have something to laugh at when you return to us. :) It was good talking to you last night and I am happy to know that you have not been eaten by a pack of wild dingos. But just to be sure, please try to avoid areas where dingos hang out such as umm Australia.

Katie said...

I'll post if you do.