Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Idealism...

I’ve been called a lot of things in my life. Some of them hurtful, some very thoughtful. Idealistic. A romantic. A romantic idealist. These are the words that were thrown out and struck me recently. The funny thing, to me, was that the title wasn’t meant to be a compliment necessarily. I find that to be disheartening. I listen to my friends whose hearts I deeply admire. Whose minds I deeply respect. They all seem to be echoing the same cry for something beautiful and perfect and true. True love, perfect romance, a beautiful intertwining of souls and bodies into one wonderful shape. Is that too much to ask? “Yes” is the answer I receive far too often. The majority of the time, to be perfectly honest. And I sit wondering what my flaw is. What my curse is. To hold out so much hope for something so unreasonable. The fact is that I’ve heard those stories of perfect harmonious love affairs that led to perfect harmonious marriages. They exist somewhere in the cracks of the broken and painful failings. They do exist. For me though? I’m not sure. I’d like to think so, but the truth is that it’s quite possible that they will never come true. My only comfort is that I know somebody who holds my life, and he has my best interests at heart. My cry to all those hurting and hoping is to always, always remember that our idealism is not merely our stretching imagination, but the intended reality that was meant for all of us.

6 comments:

aziner said...

Loooove this post so much that I put way too many o's in love. ;) Nicole and I actually had a conversation about this recently. I said something about marriage, and then I stopped and said I know that sounds too idealistic. And I thought about it a moment and said, you know what? I think that's okay and even good. Why shouldn't we believe in and expect and hold out for the best? So yeah, I know what you mean. And I don't understand why idealism is looked down upon. Hold out hope Pieter, for I admire you for being a romantic and an idealist and a romantic idealist. I cannot say for sure what will happen for you, but I truly believe that God would not have made you so well suited to be a husband (as I believe you are) and someday a father if he did not intend for you to be one. Thanks for this post. I hope you always hold on to what you know to be the intended reality for I will too.

Anonymous said...

encouraging

Katie said...

[thank you]

Ronnie said...

Idealism is romantic because reality is so bleak. You'll get what you desire in due time my friend, but obviously the man upstairs wants us to wait it out a little more to see if we really want it. So the question is: Do you? I love you!

Anonymous said...

I'm one of the biggest hopeless romantic, glass-is-half-full, idealistic girls I've ever met. Do you know how many times I've been told that my standards are too high? That I'm not being "realistic" when I hold to the things I long for in a future husband? That I'm wasting my youth by being 20-and-never-been-kissed and boyfriendless? A lot.
But I know God loves me, and He's delighted that I'm NOT wasting my youth...I'm using it to refine myself as a solo woman-of-Christ. Then, in His perfect timing alone, He'll bless me with a love so hopefully romantic, that it'll prove all the naysayers wrong.
I love you Pieter...I really do.
<3, Robin

Ms. McGowan said...

Although I'm skeptical and reluctant to allow myself the pleasure of idealism, I cherish that about you. I love to watch your eyes light up when you talk about a special girl. Your romanticism is contagious. I hate that it often leaves you shattered, though. I hope that someday your "romantic idealism" will be realized. I think it will thrill me almost as much as it will thrill you!

Sorry about the weird call the other night:) We have Brandon to blame for that one- he was adding alchie to my drink when I left it unattended (the little jerk face). Just in case you need reminding, my couch has a spot saved for Pieter. The Bay Area's calling you name, kid.

I LOVE YOU!