Friday, July 22, 2005

A dead phone line...

The phone connected after the first ring and the voice that answered trembled. The sales pitch ended mid sentence when I realized that the old man on the other end was tired and certainly not interested in anything i was selling. He sounded worn out and i thought about hanging up the phone. But then he asked me my name and i told him. And after a minute of listening to a silent receiver i asked if he was ok. He told me that he was exhausted and restless. He told me about his job. How he had at least ten more years in a career he never chose, but he was turning fifty tomorrow and had kids and a dog and a house he couldn't afford. He was broken and poor and floating through life in all the wrong ways. His wife hated him for being boring, his kids never called, and he didn't know if he could take one day more. "If this is what life is really like kid, get out while you still can," he said. Speechless, i held the phone and he thanked me for listening and hung up.

I left the next day in my car with a handful of cash and a bottle of water and just drove...

9 comments:

Galen said...

I'm coming with.

Anonymous said...

So this may sound weird, Pete, but the thing I like best about this sketch is that I can't really tell whether it's real or not.

raj said...

I like talking to strangers, especially on airplanes ('cuz they can't get away from you).

A homeless man talked to us in the park tonight. He was very very high. He showed us his bag of pot. It looked like a hack sack.

Anonymous said...

So is this paralleling the "big move" to Portland? Trying to "get out as fast as you can?"
One day you'll have to just be content and stop running away from things, because discontentment with your present life will follow wherever you go, unless you change. Good thing God goes with you wherever you go too...don't run away from Him.
Love in Him,
Robin

Pete said...

Maybe there is some truth to what you said Robin. Mainly it was just something i wrote that was inspired by a Rilo Kiley song. I'm not running from things here as much as I am just eagerly desiring a change of pace and scenery...

Katie said...

I know what you mean, wanting a change.
I do too, desperatly.

I liked the post. it's depressing and much the way i feel right now. :)

see you around.

Anonymous said...

I miss Pieter, he always has his good intentions of coming to see me, he says he misses hanging out, but where did he go...even when he was so close I didn't get to see him much, and now he's far again and said he'd visit...its been a while...I still want my Diary CD...

Anonymous said...

the slow fade of love

Anissa Nishira said...

pieter I miss you. I can relate to the need for peace and a change of scenery. I'm moving. If the Lord allows and thus far it seems He does. To Santa Maria...small town, central coast..near the beach. everyone knows everyone...and its slow....chill...looking forward to breathing air I can't see....as i said before...you are missed.