Saturday, May 24, 2008

Creak

I wake to a thud. Something's fallen downstairs. Probably from an endtable. The wife's still asleep as are the kids down the hall. I'm pretty sure whatever made that noise is a biped, probably dressed in black, hopefully sans sharp objects.

I've only shot my revolver half a dozen times, but I keep it in a black plastic case under my bed. I bought it for a time like this, but keep it locked because of the kiddies. It's one of those cheap little suitcase locks with the three rolling wheels. I thought I'd be clever and keep it pretty much unlocked, only rolling one of the wheels one click so that, if someone broke in, it would be a simple matter of rolling that wheel, flipping the case open and blasting away.

The only problem is I've forgotten which wheel I rolled and that creaking floorboard I just heard is at the top of the stairs. At this point that biped knows someone has to be awake, but it's still coming.


Pretty quick little exercise. Thanks for the idea Tyson. It's not 101 words but the brevity thing is good practice.

2 comments:

jenny baker said...

good to have you back. :)

Tyson said...

I like it - will there be more of these exercises?