Friday, October 07, 2005

The quiet hours...

In the quiet hours of the night, when all I hear are the day's echoes, I whisper to you. About will and about death. In the hours after the sun has set, I contemplate breath and blood and warmth and how my thoughts cycle and spin like snow and dust, blowing in the same wind. When the body cools and the soul awakes. Passes through dirt and leaves, does its gaze fall back to earth? Is death really, as Rilke says, when the living depart from everything in order to reflect upon life? Will my identity remain with my soul when my breath goes or will it decay with my skin and flesh until it is merely an imprint on my bones. If it imprinted on my soul, will it remain intact? Or will it evaporate in space with other minds and memories, floating endlessly? I want to believe that these fragments of past generations, the thoughts and feelings and passions of others no longer living, have combined in me and I will remain long after I die. I long for that quiet place where I can sleep and awake to consider life and eternity.

Not much sense among these words probably...

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://www.nanowrimo.org/

I found this site and thought of you...I'm thinking of maybe trying it, and I know you should.
Miss you Pieter...
<3, Robin

Anonymous said...

If you interpret life through the Bible, as Christians should, then when you die you will either be in Heaven worshipping the Almighty, loving Father, or you will be separated from Him in eternal torment (Hell). I don't think we go to just reflect upon life. And yes, our soul will remain intact. Where is God in your ideas about life after death?

Pete said...

My question was not whether or not my soul will remain intact, but whether my identity will remain with my soul. The fact that I don't mention God by name in this post does not mean that I am trying to define eternity apart from scripture or God's revelations. I just see a great deal of value in exploring issues like this and scripture isn't clear (from what I've gathered in my own reading) about identity and what aspects of it you will keep after death. I for one believe that our external self (the self that we think we are) will perish and our true self that God only knows will remain and we will be fully realized humans in every way that God intented us to be.

May I ask who posted this question? It sounded rather scathing to me, but I don't want to jump to any conclusions.

Ms. McGowan said...

Pete,
I sense hope in your words.
I love you.
Sherry

Ronnie said...

Obviously the annonymous a-hole doesn't know how to read between the lines. I feel ya man.

Ms. McGowan said...

Hey. I'm coming down to River City some time soon. Let's go on a date. I miss you.

Anissa Nishira said...

friend..how are you? keep dreaming & writing & sharing.....you are inspiring. love, Anissa

Anonymous said...

Never ever stop writing! I've spent quite some time reading through your posts and it feels strange that I can read them from your perspective and yet I can feel them from mine. You have a gift and you can touch others with it...cherish it, respect it, use it well.

Bess :)

Ms. McGowan said...

Ha. I'm looking back and feeling foolish. I meant to post the "hope" comment under the contemplation post. Oh well. I'm an idiot- now it's out in the open. Tell you friends. Have a good day, goofball.

Ms. McGowan said...

er...your friends.