Sunday, January 23, 2005

The Boy Part III

The next star Jonah met was a green one and, like Madeline, this one too shone with all shades of green. It was bigger than Madeline, perhaps older, and its planets were many. All covered with green growth and water. Jonah's bed sped to the star and began to orbit slowly. Again, Jonah could feel the star's presence and mind and warmth, and he knew that it too was watching him.

He orbited the star slowly, around and around. His bed turned over and under, each side facing the star as if he were being examined. When the bed finally stopped its movements, the planets were all behind him an dhe was again facing the star. Suddenly all the dark shades of green went to the edge of Jonah's view of the star and its center was a brilliant shade of emerald green. Jonah waited patiently for it to speak, propped up against his pillows.

When the star finally did speak, its voice was strange. It was a sort of masculine voice; strong but sorrowful, but with a hint of sympathy that sounded almost motherly...

"Hello Child, I am Tristan," the star said.
"Hello. My name is Jonah," he answered, "where am i now?"
"Many miles from home Jonah. I hope that doesn't frighten you. I have been told to answer your questions. Do you have any questions?" Tristan asked.
"What is happening to me? I know that my heart has stopped beating, but I don't feel like I have died" asked Jonah, a look of genuine concern on his face.
Tristan smiled. Or at least Jonah could sense him smiling, although the star had no face or mouth. "Your life as you know it has been put on hold while you are here visiting with us. Think of it more like a dream. Time has no meaning out here and, if you should choose to return home, you will be perfectly healthy."
"Why has this happened to me?" Jonah asked.
Tristan's light strobed from bright to dull rapidly. Jonah decided that he was laughing. "I am so very glad you asked that Jonah, it's what I really need to speak with you about. I have a favor to ask of you. A task and, if your brave enough to agree to it, you will be taken far from here."
"What is the task?"
"We need your help Jonah. Not all the stars you see around you are kind or benevolent. There are bad stars out there too. One of them has put many beings in danger and he must be stopped. That is why you have been brought here. The good stars feel that you can help us and we brought you here to ask if you would. It will be dangerous and very frightening but you will have our help and all the protection we can offer you Jonah."
Jonah sat in his bed, deep in thought. He still believed that he was probably dreaming, but it was the most vivid and best dream he had ever had and it made him sad to think that it might end.

to be continued...

10 comments:

Katie said...

How exciting!! I love it when there's a quest and good guys offering protection. Your imagery is lovely, and I can't wait to find out where the story is going. More, please. And this time don't wait years before you update. haha!
And I'll update soon, too, just because you asked. ;-)

katie

Ronnie said...

It's like the return of C.S. Lewis.

Pete said...

Is that a good thing Ronnie?

Jessica said...

I love it Pete. This story is going in a wonderful direction. I had an awesome time hanging out with you this weekend - you're a fun guy :-)

Jessica said...

Icelandic? I thought you were Dutch...

Thank you for your comment on my blog. I really don't get enough of those, and they do so make my day. I guess you're back on my "good list". Try not to get kicked off of it, again :-).

So, Saint Mary's? Yeah? Pretty great school...and you'd live near Sherry and I! How great is that?

Jessica said...

i mean sherry and me. doh!

aziner said...

"and it made him sad to think that it might end"

I just really love that line. Eagerly awaiting more . . .

Katie said...

Did you really want to know about it? ask me sometime.

Jessica said...

Once upon a time there was a boy named Pieter... who fell off the face of the earth and never posted part IV of his story :-P. Or, at least, that's what people began to speculate MUST have happened, as it had been a zillion years since part III.

:-)

Jessica said...

You are such a message tease. "Wha?" doesn't count as a post ;-).